Self-publishing developer Larian Studios announced today that their KickStarter campaign to enhance Divinity: Original Sin reached its funding goal of $USD 400K in less than a fortnight.
Divinity: Original Sin is an open-world, traditional RPG featuring turn-based combat and single-player and cooperative gameplay, in which the actions and choices of players have true significance and consequences. It will ship with the editor that was used by the developers to make the game, making it the first game in a long time to sport an RPG editor that supports multiplayer.
There are still 17 days to go in the Kickstarter campaign and Larian is now hoping that their fans will help them each their stretch goals, so that they can improve the depth of their dream RPG even further.
To celebrate the successful funding, Larian Studios today released a new update, featuring new rewards that will exclusively be available for Kickstarter backers.
Now that the Kickstarter campaign is successful, Larian can also confirm that Divinity: Original Sin will be coming to Linux and Mac platforms. Furthermore, pledges via Paypal are now also possible.
The Divinity: Original Sin Kickstarter campaign is live at:
“We let RPG fans invest in our game now so that they could reap the gameplay rewards this fall,” says Larian Studios’ founder, Swen Vincke. “and they responded en masse. There were plenty of high-profile Kickstarter campaigns going on when we started out, yet we consistently managed to be in the top 3 on Kicktraq.com. I’m very proud of having such a vocal and supportive community and we’ll do everything we can to not disappoint them. Thank you all! ”
With the funds raised through Kickstarter, Larian Studios wishes to expand its team to create more depth and diversity in Divinity: Original Sin. This includes more areas to explore, more character interactions, more quests with consequences, and increased options for character-building. In addition to releases of the final game, backers have opportunities to receive everything from special in-game items to roles within the game.
- Class-Free Progression – Choose skills, abilities, and gear to create the character that ‘you’ want.
- Cooperative Play – Drop-in/drop-out cooperative multiplayer with full-featured RPG gameplay for both players.
- Skill and Spell Combos – A block of ice can be melted with fire, turned into a lethal pool of electricity, and refrozen into a slippery trap. This is one example of the many interactions possible.
- Meaningful Dialogue – For better or worse, your conversations have actual and noticeable impacts in the game-world. When playing cooperatively, both players have a say in the outcome.
- Open-World Gameplay – No artificial constraints to keep players from exploring the world or level-scaling to coddle you. If you are too weak for an area, you will quickly learn your lesson.
- Editor – Full suite of editing tools – the same used by the developers – to create completely new environments and adventures.